AAPOS Vision Screening Kit with HOTV and Sloan Letter129
The American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS) is offering an updated basic kit with HOTV and Sloan Letter to assist anyone who screens vision, including school nurses, Lions Club members, Head Start, and medical personnel working in pediatrics and family medicine.
The AAPOS Vision Screening Kit With HOTV and Sloan Letter is for What Ages?
The AAPOS Basic Vision Screening Kit with HOTV and Sloan Letter is for screening the vision of individuals beginning at age 3 years through adulthood.
What’s in the Updated Kit?
- Spiral-bound, multisided, distance tests of visual acuity that can be hung on a wall or held in the hands.
- Sloan Letter for when children know their letters.
- HOTV letters for preschoolers and for children who do not yet know their letters.
- Screening is conducted at 10 feet.
- Full-Chart Threshold and Single Critical Line formats:
- Threshold screening involves beginning at the top of an eye chart and moving down the chart until the child or adult misses 3 of 5 optotypes.
- Critical line screening is using only the line which the child or adult should correctly identify 3 of 5 optotypes according to age.
- Children ages 36 to 47 months should correctly identify 3 of 5 optotypes on the 20/50 line.
- Children aged 48-59 months should correctly identify 3 of 5 optotypes on the 20/40 line.
- Children aged 5 years and older, and adults, should correctly identify 3 of 5 optotypes on the 20/32 line.
- Coverlet Adhesive Eye Occluder.
- Black hand-held flip paddle occluder for children aged 10 and older and adults who will not tolerate Patches.
- Flip-Up Occluder Glasses for children under age 10 years who will not tolerate Patches.
- 10-foot cord for measuring screening distance between chart and child’s or adult’s eyes.
- Translucent Response Panel for matching.
- Instructions printed on one of the eye chart cards.
- Revised School Nurse Vision Screening Tutorial DVD created by Kathy Lee, MD, PhD, for the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Leadership Development Project, which rolled out at NASN in 2010 and now includes a Spanish version.
- Box to hold Kit pieces.
Who Can Use the Updated Kit?
The AAPOS Vision Screening Kit with HOTV and Sloan Letter is for school nurses, pediatricians’ offices, family medicine offices, Head Start personnel, Lions Club members, Child Care Providers, and anyone who screens vision.
Who Developed the AAPOS Vision Screening Kit?
Daniel E. Neely, MD, Pediatric Ophthalmologist, and Professor of Ophthalmology at the Indiana University School of Medicine developed the original AAPOS Vision Screening Kit, with support and approval from the AAPOS Vision Screening Committee and the AAPOS Board of Directors, as a project for the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Leadership Development Program. This updated AAPOS Vision Screening Kit is based on the original kit but adds the option of using HOTV letters.